When speaking to family caregivers, people with good intentions often say the wrong things.
Here are highlights from an online conversation about “what not to say to a family caregiver.”
- Taboo things people say to caregivers
- Advice that sounds like “you should”
- Alternatives to saying “you need to take care of yourself”
- Responding to offers of help
- Don’t tell me “I’m a saint” or you “couldn’t do this”
- How to communicate better with caregivers
- Best ways to support caregivers, in words and deeds
Care professionals and friends can increase their support and empathy with good communication.
If you are speaking with a grieving family caregiver, a grief expert has tips for you here.