Ageism and the Generation Gap:
Japan is the “Silver Democracy”.
- Seniors vote more frequently, and there are more seniors to vote, in today’s election in Japan.
- Japan’s government reduced the voting age — from 20 to 18 — to involve more youth.
- Far more spending goes to seniors than youth.
Brexit Unleashes Ageist, Generational Battle. Is US Next?
- Younger voters feel betrayed by older voters and unleash vitriol on social media.
- We predict generational war over US entitlements will become political.
- A conference in Oakland, CA this week addressed the economic needs of millennials, aka The Recession Generation.
- Aging-industry leaders say boomers must volunteer give-backs in Social Security and Medicare.
Are Geriatricians Ageist?
- Geriatricians advocate for older people, but can have attitudes amplify ageism in our society.
- [subscription required: Academics are studying ageism among geriatricians and how it affects care.]
- Ignaz Nascher, considered the father of geriatric medicine, said this in 1914:
We realize that for all practical purposes that the lives of the aged are useless, that they are often a burden to themselves, their family and the community at large.
Senior Healthcare Confusion
Medi-whah? Seniors are Confused.
- We speak with many lay-people who are confused about “which does what” — Medicare, Medi-Cal and Medicaid.
- Confusion over terms is just the beginning.
- A House subcommittee voted to continue a program that helps seniors understand the complexities of their Medicare benefits.
- Just 2 weeks ago, a Senate committee voted to eliminate it.
- Do your marketing materials and sales teams over-complicate, or simplify these topics?
Does the Public “Get” What You Do? [About Generations Now]
- Nail down your organization’s core message for customers and influencers, then prove it works, with Generations Now.
- Provide value to your perfect customer by getting expertise out of your head and into customers’ hands.
- Create a marketing machine that brings your services to the people who need you. Talk to us.
End of Life Planning — Part of the Annual Checkup?
- California to reimburse doctors 2x per year for “Advance Care Planning” discussions
- Innovative PACE healthcare providers have added end-of-life planning to ensure wishes are carried out
- CareGoals offers an in-office, tablet-based system for phsycians to conduct ACP with patients (for CPT Codes 99497, 99498)
Separate Medical Units Needed, says US News.
- 1/3 of patients 70+ leave hospital more disabled than when they arrived.
- 1/2 of patients 85+ (ditto).
- Only 200 Acute care centers for elderly in the US.
- Hospital units specifically for the elderly save ~$1,000 per patient visit.
- Headline in this week’s US News & World Report:
“Elderly Hospital Patients Arrive Sick – and Leave Disabled.”
The older you are, the worse the hospital is for you.
– Ken Covinsky, UC San Francisco, Geriatrics
Separate Emergency Departments Improve Outcomes
- Today’s Geriatric Medicine goes in-depth at a Pennsylvania emergency room.
- Older adults are quickly segreated from general waiting area to a customized Geriatric Emergency Department.
- The Gertiatric ED is staffed by geriatric-trained nurses, have calmer environment, non-slip floors.
- Only 50 geriatric elderly departments in the US.
Seniors Taking High-Blood Pressure Meds Have LOW Blood Pressure.
- 70% of a sample of seniors taking prescribed medications actually had low blood pressure
- Physicians fail to monitor and respond to patient changes
- Patients must be monitored regularly, and trade-offs weighed
67,000 Holocaust survivors will get more home care.
- The German Government pays for the care of 67,000 survivors around the world.
- Germany lifted the 25 hour/week cap on home care last week.
- Florida Reps. Ted Deutch and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen championed the change.